Job Title: Health Information Coordinator
Status: Full Time
Pay Grade: DOE
Department/Division: Medical Records
The HIM Coordinator is responsible for ensuring compliance with all regulatory requirements, CCMC policies, and ethical standards. This position has no supervisory responsibility.
- Reviews medical records to maintain compliance with all established regulatory and licensing requirements.
- Ensures that all standards of patient medical data privacy and confidentiality are met.
- Performs prepping and scanning of records to ensure all records are scanned properly and indexed consistently.
- Ensure accurate and legible scanning into the system prior to shredding of any documentation.
- Oversees research of missing documentation, records, and materials and follows up with departments and physicians as appropriate.
- Reviews Electronic Health Record (E.H.R.) reports daily to identify missing documentation.
- Process incoming records according to standard procedures, including renaming, splitting files, scanning paper documents, categorizing, and uploading records to include invoicing and final submission either via fax, mail, or email.
- Responds to all requests for medical record information from various requestors including health care providers, patients, attorneys, third party payors, disability, subpoenas, and internal requestors. Verifies release authorization requests for confidential medical records and releases requested documentation on a need-to-know basis. All Release of Information must be in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accoutability Act (HIPAA) federal guidelines, state regulations, and company policy.
- Works with Controller and CEO to develop guidelines for documentation and policies.
- Monitors all activities for quality and any opportunities for improvement.
- Monitor the unbilled claims report, perform chart reviews prior to charts being sent to coding.
- Assists billing with coding denials, billing issues, appeals, and patient complaints related to coding.
- Keeps informed of all coding and reimbursement regulations and educate other staff as needed.
- Acts as the contact liaison with external coding company to assist as needed.
- Maintain confidentiality of patient and employee information.
- Provide a compassionate and professional customer support to patients.
- Work with the Unit Clerks to provide education, training, and assistance as needed.
- Ensures all reporting (external and internal) is done timely and accurately, including the HCAHP survey, CGCAHPS survey, trauma, cancer, death registries, and others as needed.
- Serves on the QAMC Committee.
- Coordinates peer review and ensures annual quality review is completed on all medical staff including distant site tele providers.
- Serves on Trauma Committee.
- Manage the storage of old records and destruction/retention of all records.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and supports organizational mission, vision, and value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Is expected to respond to the hospital, if requested to, to assist in the ecent of an emergency or if the hospital activates its emergency management plan.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as requested.
The above is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of essential functions for the job described, but rather a general description of some of the responsibilities necessary to carry out the duties of this position.
Associates Degree, Bachelor’s Degree preferred. At a minimum, High School Diploma with 3 years of similar work experience required.
Proficient with the use of E.H.R., and Microsoft Office Suite
Team player who can collaborate and communicate well with both patients and coworkers. Must have excellent organization skills and be able to meet various deadlines. Must observe strict confidentiality. Must be able to read, write and speak the English language. Must posses the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, and the general public. Must be able to move frequently throughout the workday. Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and at times hostile people within the facility.
Upon date of Hire:
- Current Negative TB Test
- Ability to Pass a DHSS Criminal History Check and Drug Test
- Must be current in all immunizations
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CCMC shall seek to insure and provide equal opportunity for all persons seeking employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, military status, national origin, disability, or any other characteristic as established by law.
Ready to be a part of a great team?
A career at Cordova Community Medical Center (CCMC) may be the opportunity you've been looking for.
CCMC employees benefit package includes the Alaska Public Employee Retirement System (PERS), Annual and Sick leave accrual, Group Health Insurance, Life Insurance and nine paid holidays.